Sunday, September 5, 2010

amo firenze

It has been nearly a week since I left the U.S.  I think I hid it well but a few days before leaving I was experiencing the most nauseating anxious feeling as I spent my last few days with family, friends, everyone that I had reconnected with over the summer.  I think I was feeling this way because I was torn between how much I missed Florence and how much I was afraid I would miss everything and everyone back home...
However, being the glass-is-half-full person that I try to be I boarded my flight out of Omaha, NE listening to non other than Jason Derulo's "Riding Solo" (I probably listened to is at least 15 times throughout my next 24 travelling period haha).

Alas, I am here, finally!  My favorite panini ristorante is still here, even better, it is just around the corner of my new and gorgeous apartment.  The same african men are still selling knock off purses and sun glasses outside of San Lorenzo church.  Grom, my favorite gelatoria, is still booming with business.  I stopped by on my first full day here and checked out their flavor of the month "cream with sweet wine"  (someday I'll know how to say it in Italian), go figure they make wine IN gelato now!  The streets are still lined with human statues that will only move if you give them a few euros and the accordion players still set the atmoshere which is so clique to say about Italy, but it's so true!  Couples are still making out all over the place, standing, sitting, against the wall, on the benches, shade, sun, night or day, as if there is some sort of contest that I am thankfully unaware of.  The blunt affection I can stand is the counterman downstairs calling me "beautiful" every time we speak.  "Red or white, bella?"  Ya, I can get used to that.

Friday my roommates and I along with some other students took a trip out to Castello di Verranazzo Vineyard in the hills of Chianti.  Having been raised in a wine drinking family (sorry mom and dad, but you did) there is nothing better I would have rather done during my first week back.  Seeing my process of how they make Chianti Classico was completely amazing.  The actual wine tasting and luncheon we were given after was heavenly.

All in all the first week has been nothing less than top notch. The unsettling anxiety has nearly disappeared, although, I do miss everyone at home.  But I am looking forward to my first week of school.  I'll get to see my professors from last semester, Donetella- can't wait!! (not to be confused with Donetello the ninja turtle).

Goals:
- learn to like if not crave raw tomatos (which I ate today, but still don't totally like)
- force myself to speak Italian (not just in Italian class)

Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds glorious and right up your alley. I am so thrilled that you have been given this opportunity to go back and might I add you are recording it beautifully! it's great to read your writings, they sound so genuine and I can definitely hear the excitement you have in each word you type!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds amazing! I'm so jealous, or should I say envious that you are enjoying such tasty full bodied wines. I do love my wine. It was so nice to meet you at The Pines. It also was a pleasure working with you. You always know how to have fun, and brighten the day with your smile. Hope you have a wonderful time in Italy...and you are missed. Love ya sweetie! =)

    ReplyDelete